How to make Shrimp Tempura
2019-01-24 16:38 / Posted by to Gourmet
Today, we will try a cool method for frying shrimp tempura.
Shrimp - 10-15
Flour - 1/2 cup
Vegetable oil - 1.5 - 2 liters
Water - 2 cups
Ice cubes - Handful
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Eggs - 1
Flour - 1 cup
1. Peel and devein each shrimp. Keep the tail on.
2. Cut the underside of the shrimp half-way through (at the joints) to straighten them.
3. Flip-over to the top-side and score the shrimp half-way through (at the joints) at a slight angle.
4. Use your fingers to squeeze the shrimp and stretch them out.
5. Dry them on paper-towels. Finally, coat each shrimp with flour and pat-off any excess. Set aside until frying time.
1. Pour cold water into a bowl. Place ice cubes in to keep it batter cold. Add the salt and egg. Mix everything together.
2. Then add in the flour. But do not whisk it in! Instead, gently push in the flour until all of it becomes moistened. It's good to have lumps in the mixture. (Reference video for more details.)
1. Put oil into pot or fryer. Turn on medium heat and bring up to 340~360F. Place a few drops of batter into oil to gauge the temperature (refer to long text above).
2. When oil is ready, slowly pour a little bit of the batter into the oil. Stir-around with chopsticks (be careful of oil!). Let the flakes cook for 10-15 seconds.
3. Use a strainer (or other utensil) to gather some flakes into a corner of the pot. Then pick-up a shrimp and dunk into the wet batter. Place the shrimp in the corner, on top of the flakes. Use chopsticks (or a fork) to cover the rest of the shrimp with flakes.
4. Fry until light golden color (roughly 1-2 minutes). Repeat for each shrimp.
l Throw in a few ice cubes to keep the batter cold. A cold batter translates to a light texture when fried.
l Do not over-mix or whisk the batter. Gently push the dry ingredients into the water until they become soaked. It will look lumpy - that is what we are looking for!
Possible Articles Of Interest To You
Comment On The Article